Friday, December 31, 2004

Its The Afternoon of New Years Eve 2004

I wish I was some place else or someone else. Some with money and plenty of it to go around. Someone with a job and with grand children to spoil. But I don't have any of these things. Its been eighteen months now since I was fired from my last job and thirteen months since my husband's back was permanently injured. We have been just existing on nothing out here in beautiful British Columbia. I guess that is a positive thing for us. I mean because we are existing here on the west side of Turtle island. It really is beautiful if you can learn to look past the people sleeping in the door ways, the gardens and inside McDonald's Restaurants and pan-handlers every ten feet. That is what our politician are doing so I guess its alright for us to do the same. At least it not snowing here as I am sitting here trying to get warm after catching a bone chilling & damp cold after standing outside in free food line for more then two hours trying to instill hope to other people whom are less fortunate then myself I guess. I was inviting them to come and join me on a free New Years day levee tour and telling them this is the one day that the mayors and the council members would be feeding their Constituents for free. The people whom I used to be able to help no longer greet this day with the same enthusiam as I do. They say their are tired of being poor and that they are not at all proud to be and do not wish to be exploited any more. They are getting tired. They are being beaten down by the very system that has beaten down thousands of other people a like. Some of these same people say that I have become a part of the problem with doing this event every year and there fore no longer want to be associated with me, others love my courage and my strength. As for me personal I don't see most of the same things that other see. I see sorrow, a sadness that that gets deeper and deeper with each year passing and a new generation being born into poverty and having absolutely no fear in killing or dying for the only food that kills the hunger pain that dwells within their souls and kills the hunger pain of malnutrition and oppression. Their food is what ever their street drug of choice is. Herion. Cocaine, Christal Method, Glue, Lysal, and anything else they can get into their body to kill the pain. These are the only things that running plentiful and rampantly on our streets.

I thought poverty was suppose to be erradicated by the year 2000. I guess I missed that event because I might have been just to dammed busy ensuring that we the poor people still have a voice that will ensure that it gets feed once in a while; but not with more then Sugar and Salted promises and actions of our community leaders. To much of this stuff is not good for anyone.

I really do pray that everyone makes through the holidays alive and that one day we all might have just five minutes of blissfull rest and minimal things to worry about.

No comments: